Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my full Affiliate Disclosure.
Did you know that dryer sheets are said to be literally the most toxic home product?!! 😱
Dryer sheets are really a toxic ripoff. That means you’re paying for a product that is actually making you sick.
I’m talking about things like known carcinogens, hazardous pollutants, endocrine disruptors and things that target specific organs in the most unpleasant ways.
As crazy as it seems, the current United States Consumer Product Safety Commission does not require laundry product manufacturers to list actual ingredients, including the chemicals used in fragrance blends. And a single fragrance in a product can contain a mixture of hundreds of chemicals. (1)
In one of the most interesting studies to date, pioneering fragrance researcher Anne Steinemann, PhD, a professor of civil and environmental engineering, looked at the chemicals spewing out of dryer vents. What was coming out of those vents? And into people’s lungs? The study found carcinogenic hazardous air pollutants, which “have no safe exposure level, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.” (1)
In a 2016 study, Steinemann found over 12 percent of people blamed scented laundry products spewing from dryer vents for health issues. These include ailments like respiratory issues, runny noses, asthma attacks, skin issues, migraines and even gastrointestinal symptoms. (3)
Laundry Room Hacks
You can avoid the chemicals in the laundry room by using these laundry room hacks:
✔️ Use my Homemade Laundry Soap or Thieves Laundry Soap.
✔️ Use ⅛ cup of white vinegar instead of fabric softener.
✔️ Add wool dryer balls to your dryer, which cuts down on drying time and will leave your laundry feeling soft. Throw a few wool dryer balls in with wet clothes (3 for smaller loads, 5-6 for larger loads). When the clothes are dry, add 3-6 drops of Young Living essential oil to a dryer ball and run with the clothes for ten minutes on the no-heat cycle to give your clothes a fabulous smell.
✔️ Use my Homemade Reusable Dryer Sheets. DIY recipe is below.
DIY Reusable Dryer Sheets
⅓ cup white vinegar
5-10 drops of Young Living Essential Oil of your choice
- Pour vinegar into mason jar. A wide mouth mason jar is important to be able to fit your hand into it to get the dryer sheets out.
- Then fill with water to about an inch from the top of the jar.
- Add essential oil of your choice, basically whatever you would like your laundry to smell like. Many people choose a fresh scent, like lemon, orange, lemongrass or purification.
- Slowly add the small cotton cloths until they are immersed in the liquid. Any cotton material will work. If you would like pretty designs, click here to check out this pre-cut material, it is ready to use! If you want to save some money, cut an old cotton shirt into squares, anywhere between 5-8 inch squares will work.
- Use 2 squares for small loads and 4 squares for large loads. When the clothes are dry, place in dryer and run with the clothes for ten minutes on the no-heat cycle to give your clothes a fabulous smell.
- After your load of laundry is finished in the dryer, place the reusable dryer sheets back into your jar of liquid for next time. When the liquid level gets low, simply refill.
3 Steps To A Toxin Free Home
Grab this free PDF to learn how living toxin free can be simple and easy.